Project: Gauntlet - Current Iteration

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Airborne - A browser-based, multiplayer plane combat game in Unity3d... probably now called Gyro

Hi everybody. All prospective 5 readers per-day. Hi! Have done so little development recently that it is with some form of shame that I post a pure-text blog: no videos, no code samples, merely a prosaic overview of what I'm currently developing. Questions welcome.

Working on a few Unity development tasks recently. The largest is Airborne - the plane combat game featured in weak weak alpha in the video currently above (as at April 2010).

I haven't done a huge deal to it, but let's break it down:

Multiplayer!

Yes sir. The multiplayer aspect was theoretical and barely-tested previously, but the game is now multiplayer (peer to peer) and working quite well.

No huge technical details to recount regarding this - most of the challenges were logic-specific.

So I'm currently doing two things in preparation for a small beta release of the game:

1) Graphics. It probably needs some. I'm currently using unity primitive cubes, painted red, as a basic test plane, but I assume that this won't cut in for graphics. So we'll see how we go there. I can't see huge difficulties - planes being largely static, no animation required. I will enlist the assistance of http://warduckdesign.blogspot.com to paint the textures, and we will be OK.

2) Re-developing the code base and logic. This is a pure engineer compulsion. The game started as a very late night 'Beautiful Katamari'-inspired effort, and as such was done in a very agile manner. I've since refined certain aspects, but it is put together in a way that doesn't lend itself to longterm maintenance, in my mind.


So yes - graphics and refinement, and we will be good for a beta release.

On a pure gameplay note - doing some basic testing of the plane multiplayer, I'm struck by a very dire gameplay function requirement: radar and altimeter. Most of the time was spent flying around looking for the enemy. Not exactly twitch gameplay.

So the plan is to create a few different radar mechanisms, and we will be good.

Back soon with videos and such.

No comments: